Types of Ginseng
When looking up information and studies on “ginseng” be sure it specifies which species it is referring to — don’t settle for general “ginseng” information, as each has unique properties and effects. (Even cooking recipes call for specific ginseng!)
Panax Quinquefolius – American ginseng. In TCM this species is a “cooling, white” ginseng supporting Qi and Yin energy. Characteristic flavor is slightly bitter and earthy
Panax Ginseng – Asian or Korean ginseng. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) this species variety is a “warming, red” ginseng promoting heat and “Yang” energy.
Eleutherococcus Senticosus – Sometimes referred to as “Siberian ginseng”. Not a true ginseng, but rather a cousin.
Benefits of American Wisconsin Ginseng (Panax Quinquefolius) vs. Asian/Korean Ginseng (Panax Ginseng)
- Can be used Long-Term as an every-day adaptogen
- Helps promote daily focus & stamina, reducing fatigue.
- Great for people who run 'hot' or have troubles with a caffeine type energy supplement.
- Ideal for the summer months with a cooling energy
- Great for treating the common cold, immune boosting properties